Environmental Health Scientist, SEET
Environmental Health Scientist, SEET, Office of Public Health
The Section of Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology (SEET), within the Office of Public Health, Center of Community and Preventive Health, Bureau of Infectious Diseases, investigates the health effects of chemical exposures in populations. The purpose of the Louisiana Healthy Homes and Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (LHHCLPPP) is to eliminate childhood lead poisoning in Louisiana through identification and management of elevated blood lead levels in children and removal of lead sources in the environment as a means of prevention.
- A baccalaureate degree in public health, chemistry, geology, geography, biological sciences, computer science, sociology, environmental science, toxicology, engineering, physical science or industrial hygiene.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the LHHCLPPP Coordinator with the management of follow-up care for children with elevated blood lead levels.
- Assist the LHHCLPPP Program Coordinator with effectively reaching audiences such as pediatricians, nurse practitioners, nurses, community partners and multiple child care serving agencies in order to promote lead testing of children ages 1 and 2;
- Provide lead screening trainings to medical providers, Head Start programs and staff at designated WIC Clinics to promote lead testing of children ages 1 and 2;
- Promote activities, events and publications designed to increase awareness and adoption of lead-safe and healthy home practices;
- Contribute ideas toward the improvement of program policies and procedures to increase awareness and adoption of lead-safe and healthy home practices;
- Collaborate with housing partners and community partnering agencies to refer families for lead hazard assessments;
- Input all activities into case management software;
- Identify new partners and collaborators;
- Participate in internal and external team meetings and assist with program reporting;
- Obtain continuing education through personal study, training videos and speaker presentations.
- The salary is dependent on education and experience, but the approximate range is $40,000-$55,000.
Please no calls or emails regarding the details of the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer