Evaluation Manager, Office of Public Health
Evaluation Manager, Office of Public Health
The Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Healthcare Access (BCDPHA) is located within the Louisiana Department of Health’s (LDH) Office of Public Health (OPH) and branded Well-Ahead Louisiana. Well-Ahead Louisiana is dedicated to improving the health of Louisiana residents in rural and underserved areas by working proactively to build community health systems’ capacity; providing integrated, efficient and effective health care services; and promoting healthy lifestyles within each community. The Evaluation Manager will lead Well-Ahead’s Louisiana’s evaluation team and will report to the Well-Ahead Louisiana Surveillance and Evaluation Division (S&E) Manager. The S&E Division is responsible for the accurate collection, analysis, evaluation and dissemination of health data and program performance.
The Evaluation Manager will serve as Well-Ahead Louisiana’s subject matter expert for best practices as they relate to the evaluation of public health programs. The Evaluation Manager will execute all evaluation components of federal grant(s) for Well-Ahead Louisiana and lead the Evaluation Team by directly supervising the other evaluators in the S&E Division. The Evaluation Manager is expected to exemplify Well-Ahead Louisiana’s Culture of Excellence, Culture of Wellness, vision, mission, values, ground rules, and brand guidelines.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or Social Sciences
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods for public health programs
- Supervisory experience
- Training on the use of advanced statistical analysis packages (SAS/STATA/R)
- Training on the use of in geographic mapping software (ArcGIS)
- Training on the use of Tableau or other data visualization software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
- Ability to travel within and outside of Louisiana
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
50% Design and Execution of Evaluation Plans
- Lead all Evaluation activities, including creation and execution of evaluation plans, for Well-Ahead Louisiana program area(s) in accordance with predetermined timelines and deadlines.
- Create and maintain database to track program implementation progress and report activity status to appropriate Grant Manager(s).
- Monitor activity efficiency, efficacy, barriers, and facilitators and report findings and recommendations to appropriate Grant Manager(s).
- Participate in grant related meetings and trainings.
- Advise the Grant Manager(s) and relevant stakeholders on the interpretation of evaluation results and implications for program planning.
- Disseminate program accomplishments and evaluation findings to stakeholders via reports, impact statements, presentations, and appropriate data visualizations.
- Evaluate health equity in programmatic work and ensure best practices are implemented to the extent feasible.
- Present evaluation work at a professional conference or submit a manuscript for publication in a relevant academic journal.
30% Evaluation Team Lead
- Provide functional supervision to Evaluators including performance evaluation and planning.
- Provide strategic guidance for team members contributing to evaluation efforts across all grant programs.
- Coordinate and lead regular Evaluation Team meetings.
- Provide training and mentorship to build knowledge, skills, and abilities of team members.
- Collaborate with the Surveillance and Evaluation Division Manager to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the Surveillance and Evaluation Division.
- Ensure consistency in application of evaluation best processes and methods for evaluation activities across all evaluation staff and programs.
- Lead hiring and onboarding processes for Evaluators and evaluation student workers.
- Coordinate trainings and professional development opportunities for Evaluators.
- Coordinate with external evaluation experts to improve evaluation practice across the team.
- Lead the creation of Bureau-wide standards of evaluation practice and assist in content development for Epidemiology and Evaluation Workgroup meetings.
20% Other Duties as Assigned
- Engage in special projects conducted by the Surveillance and Evaluation team.
- Collaborate with partners, external stakeholders, and relevant coalitions on special projects.
- Engage with Communications Team to produce creative, innovative, and accurate ways to illustrate surveillance and evaluation results.
- Engage in professional development opportunities when available.
- Attend out of state meetings and conferences as necessary.
- Provide support for grant applications, such as:
- Participate in grant planning meetings for upcoming grant opportunities.
- Develop evaluation plans and logic models to accompany grant applications that meet the requirements outlined in the Notice of Funding Opportunity.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate evaluation findings and technical information in plain language
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to think proactively and function independently
- Strong organization skills with the ability to manage heavy workloads and multiple tasks
- Starting salary commensurate with education and experience.
- A competitive benefits package is offered to all LPHI full-time staff.
Equal Opportunity Employer