Health Education and Communications Specialist, Office of Public Health
Health Education and Communications Specialist, Office of Public Health
LPHI is seeking two (2) full-time Health Education and Communications Specialists to work within the Strategy, Policy, Alignment, Communications, and Equity (SPACE) Team of the Bureau of Family Health (BFH), Office of Public Health, Louisiana Department of Health (LDH). The Communications Specialists are responsible for supporting the development of rigorous, relevant, and resonant communications products to advance the Bureau’s priorities and goals under the direction of the Health Communication Operations and Strategy Manager. Communications are becoming the primary tool for changing the policies, practices, relationships, and mental models that advance toward solutions. This role will work toward advancing potential solutions by building on program strengths and the voices of people affected by issues.
In day-to-day practice, the positions are responsible for implementing and executing the Bureau’s communication projects related to promoting access to health-related services housed within the Bureau and promoting practice, policy, and system change to advance health. As such, these positions collaborate with subject matter experts to create communication plans and implement communication strategies for BFH teams and the projects to which they are assigned. The Communications Specialists align key information and messages to assure consistent messaging across communication channels and products related to the Bureau’s priority work. The Communications Specialists will have demonstrated writing skills, including the use of plain language to explain complex issues to a variety of audiences, and be competent with graphic design and data visualization. They will use a team approach to assure timely and quality completion of assigned work.
This position will be based in New Orleans, LA.
- Bachelor’s degree plus two years of professional level experience in public health, communications, public relations, health education and communication, or related field. Master’s degree in public health, health policy, communications, public relations, or related field preferred and will substitute for a maximum of one year of the required experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, specifically the ability to translate complex concepts and data into plain language.
- An eye for detail and accuracy with demonstrated proficiency in the areas of copywriting, copyediting, and layout.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to be persuasive and conduct positive interactions and maintain meaningful relationships with a variety of individuals.
- Experience with the development of public education, media outreach materials, and policy briefs.
- Demonstrated knowledge and proficiency with communications technologies.
- Highly competent with using PCs, including use of the Microsoft operating system, Microsoft Office products, various internet browsers, Adobe Software, etc.
- Strong time management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Communications Project Planning and Support (30%)
- Assist assigned subject matter experts and Communication Managers in planning and implementing Health Education and Communication efforts within BFH teams.
- Research, analyze, and summarize health education data in order to meet the health information needs.
- Identify and address health education needs for the appropriate audience for the messaging in coordination with staff, families, and health care providers by meeting with relevant community groups, performing literature searches, and developing surveys.
- Explore opportunities and methods for increasing awareness of available services for target populations.
- Assist with the creation and execution of material development, communication, and distribution plans for programs and projects.
- Stay up to date with current processes, procedures, and software features, and seek out opportunities for improving these functions and the ability to fully utilize them.
- Maintain awareness of and abide by LDH design standards, resources, and expectations.
- Maintain competence and increase skills in the use of graphic technologies such as Adobe InDesign, Adobe Captivate, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Monitor needs for additional graphic capacity within BFH by doing the following:
- Perform on-going needs assessment for additional graphic tools, images, and other software that could support program goals.
- Seek approval for and implement new technologies as needed.
- Teach program staff to use tools as appropriate.
Writing, Editing, Designing, and Deploying BFH Communications (60%)
- Create internal and external-facing communications materials to educate and promote current priority BFH activities.
- Design and develop effective electronic written materials, websites, presentations, newsletters, posters, etc that meet LDH and ADA requirements.
- Write and edit content for assigned projects in coordination with subject matter experts.
- Promote and utilize appropriate social media opportunities in an effective manner following LDH requirements.
- Assess materials for plain language, equity, usability, and fulfillment of target audience needs.
- Assist with the approval and printing of materials, maintenance and updates to BFH websites, and implementation of other educational approaches.
- Coordinate tasks such as translation, distribution, and inventory monitoring of materials to assure efficient progression of work.
- Coordinate with LDH Purchasing to obtain written materials in accordance with LDH policies.
- Facilitate exploration of and transfer of educational materials into new media, including audio, video, and eLearning based on needs.
- Coordinate with subject matter experts on translation and distribution of written material based on needs.
- Monitor stock of materials and manage reprinting needs as appropriate.
- Assist in creating and maintaining a system to organize all educational materials with a logical naming convention and create historical database of archived materials.
- Work with LDH Information Technology Specialists to add information, updates, educational tools and resources to the website.
- Learn, implement, and work to ensure ADA accessibility on our web site, printed, and electronic materials.
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Participate in and present at staff meetings, conferences, and seminars as required.
- As requested, serve as liaison for the agency on statewide and national task forces, work groups, councils, and coalitions related to Communications.
- As requested by the Communication Manager, attend meetings and/or activities as a representative of BFH or with them to participate in discussions or problem solving sessions and to take summary notes and/or minutes and to provide updates or answer questions.
- Identify opportunities to collaborate with national organizations and pursue new relationships with non-traditional partners to improve health communications strategies.
- In collaboration with supervisor and the manager responsible for internships, support the development and supervision of practicum and internship students based on communications priorities that advance current and/or emerging priorities.
- Participate in emergency response activities as required by the contract employer.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Contractor is expected to comply with all federal reporting guidelines and requirements as designated by OPH.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of health equity principles, and experience designing communication products and strategies using an equity-focused approach preferred.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and social media marketing.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro).
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations is a plus.
- Experience with conducting formative research is a plus.
- Salary dependent on education and experience.
- A competitive benefits package is offered to all LPHI full-time staff.
Equal Opportunity Employer