TFL Regional Manager, Region II, (Baton Rouge Area) The Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco-Free Living (TFL)
Regional Manager, Region 2 (Baton Rouge Area), The Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco-Free Living (TFL)
The Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) is a statewide, non-profit organization that has been promoting the health and well-being of Louisianans since 1997. LPHI is made up of over 100 employees based throughout the State in all nine Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) regions. We accomplish our goals at the local, state, and national levels alongside our over 500 partner organizations, which include communities, community-based organizations, foundations, healthcare systems, academic institutions, government agencies, and a diverse group of additional stakeholders. Our impact is felt across the state as we leverage our staff expertise and skills in all areas of public health. LPHI was named 2021 The Times-Picayune and The New Orleans Advocate Top Workplace and 2021 CityBusiness Best Places to Work. Our mission is to lead and partner with communities to ensure that everyone has fair and just opportunities to be healthy and well. At LPHI, we envision a Louisiana where all people will achieve their full potential for health and wellness.
LPHI administers tobacco control and prevention programming focused on improving the health of Louisianans by reducing tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke through community capacity-building, promoting cessation services, policy, and advocacy, and identifying and eliminating tobacco-related disparities. A major portion of this programming consists of the Louisiana Campaign for Tobacco-Free Living (TFL), which began in 2003, and is an evidence-based, statewide, comprehensive tobacco control and prevention program funded by the state’s tobacco excise tax through a contract (of roughly $4.7M) with the Louisiana Cancer Research Consortium (LCRC). The TFL program is guided and advised by the TFL Steering Committee and Advisory Board.
The TFL Regional Manager is responsible for the development, management, coordination, and implementation of the TFL program and initiatives and local policy campaigns in Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) Region 2 and part of Region 3, including Ascension, Iberville, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Point Coupee, West Baton Rouge, West Feliciana, St, James, and Assumption parishes. The TFL Regional Manager will communicate local developments and regional programs to the TFL Associate Director, fellow regional staff, and the LPHI team through regularly scheduled meetings and reports.
This position is full-time, benefit-eligible and reports to the TFL Senior Regional Manager. Given the position’s policy campaign efforts, it will require travel and non-traditional hours, including some night and weekend work.
LPHI is headquartered in New Orleans, with employees based throughout the state. This position requires residency in one of the LDH Region 2 parishes (i.e., Ascension, Iberville, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Point Coupee, West Baton Rouge, West Feliciana, St, James, or Assumption parish) and will be fully remote; therefore, candidates should have the ability to telework.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Administration, Public Policy, Education, or related field required or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience required.
- Demonstrated effective professional and interpersonal relationship experiences and principles.
- Experience working on health-related community change/advocacy, community outreach, mobilization, and/or capacity building programs, including tobacco prevention and control, and event planning.
- Experience in formal report writing preferred.
- Ability to telework and travel up to 60% (during non-COVID times).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Program Management, Planning, and Implementation
- Manage and maintain a regional office to serve as a site for planning and development of TFL and programs and initiatives.
- Compile program reports for TFL’s Senior Regional Manager and other staff as requested.
- Implement health equity program planning processes and tools specific to community impact, partnerships, planning, and resource allocation
- Coordinate with TFL’s Senior Regional Manager, Media and Communications, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL), and other TFL staff to identify opportunities to collaborate on statewide tobacco prevention and control programs and initiatives.
- Manage and maintain a regional budget including travel and other expenditures
Partnerships & Collaboration
- Mobilize collaborations and partnerships within and outside of LPHI and TFL
- Serve as public relations and/or media point-of-contact for region working in close partnership with the LPHI Communications staff and strategic partners.
- Develop regional partnerships with related public health organizations, community interest groups, business organizations, and local municipalities on public health programming opportunities.
- Participate and provide technical assistance to regional Healthy Communities Coalition (HCC) with specific attention to tobacco related goals.
- Provide tobacco control education and outreach to support TFL policy priorities and initiatives.
Document and Support Community Mobilization
- Work with TFL staff to keep detailed records of community mobilization and relationship building efforts in the region.
- Work on health-related community change/advocacy, community outreach, mobilization, and/or capacity building programs, including tobacco prevention and control, and event planning
Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of public health and social issues in Louisiana and experience working on local Louisiana health programs preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of and experience working with some statewide partners, networks, or organizations whose work focus on policy, system, or environmental changes.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to represent LPHI and TFL to community members, statewide smoking prevention initiatives, state, and local government representatives, including the ability to explain public health priorities and issues in compelling terms and to communicate complex ideas clearly and effectively.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and partners.
- Ability to think proactively, function independently and contribute effectively to team success.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence, including interpersonal skills and experience working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Practices a learning orientation.
- Ability to champion and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver with excellent quality and impact.
- Ability to maintain a highly detail-oriented approach while maintaining an appreciation of the long-term goals and objectives of the program.
- Ability to apply systems thinking and act strategically.
- Ability to approach tasks in a solutions-orientated manner and with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with media, including television, radio, and print.
- Knowledge of the different regional areas of Louisiana with significant knowledge and networks in all regions.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours as needed and travel statewide several times per year.
- Ability to utilize virtual meeting platforms, including but not limited to GoToMeeting, Zoom, and Microsoft Teams to execute community engagement activities.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Minimum starting salary of $55,000.00 dependent on education and experience.
- A competitive benefits package is offered to all LPHI full-time staff.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer