Senior Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
Senior Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL)
The Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI), founded in 1997, is a statewide 501(c)(3) nonprofit and public health institute that translates evidence into strategy to optimize health ecosystems. Our work focuses on uncovering complementary connections across sectors to combine the social, economic, and human capital needed to align action for health. We champion health for people, within systems, and throughout communities because we envision a world where everyone has the opportunity to be healthy.
LPHI’s strategies span a broad continuum of efforts that seek to address the social determinants of health in communities and enhance social systems to support equitable health outcomes. LPHI prioritizes prevention, partnerships with multiple sectors, increased access to quality, integrated care and social services, and solutions that influence decision makers and policies to drive progress toward equity locally and nationally. Additionally, LPHI is a learning-oriented organization dedicated to professional development, coaching, and collaboration through an equity lens.
The Senior Manager will support LPHI’s MEL team in leading, advising on, planning, and conducting evaluations. The Senior Manager will be primarily assigned to LPHI’s Tobacco Free Living (TFL) initiative and will have responsibilities including, but not limited to community, program and policy assessment and improvement planning, as well as monitoring and evaluation. This position will provide high quality technical assistance, guidance, and capacity building to internal and external stakeholders to: design assessment strategies that prioritize community needs; identify and align evidence-informed strategies into thoughtful and measurable action plans to improve health and advance equity; and communicate data driven findings to various internal and external stakeholders. The Senior Manager will also be expected to promote alignment of LPHI’s assessment and action planning strategies by working collaboratively across the organization’s programmatic, evaluation and research teams.
The Senior Manager will also support LPHI in the identification and pursuit of supplemental funding opportunities through the creation of proposals and budgets, and through the nurturing of key stakeholder relationships within Louisiana’s healthcare systems, not-for-profits, communities, universities, and beyond. This role will provide direct supervision as well as coaching and mentorship to team members, consultants, and interns.
The Senior Manager position will be located in New Orleans and will report directly to the MEL Director while working closely with the TFL Director and team, including its nine regional managers in support of TFL’s statewide evaluation needs. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this position may commence remotely therefore ideal candidates should have the ability to telework. At a date to be determined in the near future, this position will be required to report to the office and may have an option to do so on a hybrid schedule.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (i.e., social sciences, public health, research and evaluation) or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in public health, population health, or related field with progressive growth in responsibilities.
- Attention to detail and extensive experience with project management, including management of multiple simultaneous projects involving cross-functional project teams as well as budgets.
- Leadership and systems-thinking skills and orientation.
- Extensive experience successfully leading assessments and improvement/action plans using the Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships (MAPP) framework and/or similar community-driven strategic planning processes for improving community health and advancing equity.
- Demonstrated experience with quantitative data analyses, including the ability to analyze demographic information to discern trends in population, health, and social indexes and measures.
- Demonstrated experience in high-quality data visualization and the creation of innovative dissemination products. Experience with and commitment to a culturally relevant and equitable evaluation approach (CREE) and diversity, equity, and inclusion frameworks.
- Experience with the creation and execution of mixed-methods data collection, data management, and analysis plans.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (written, non-verbal and verbal), including ability to listen to and communicate with a wide variety of stakeholders from diverse backgrounds in relatable and meaningful ways. Ability to present issues in compelling terms and to communicate complex data and concepts clearly and effectively. Skill with facilitating learning, planning, and knowledge transfer in a variety of formats (i.e. face2face, virtual, hybrid).
- Deep commitment to community dimensions of practice skills focused on evaluating and developing linkages and relationships within the community, maintaining, and advancing partnerships and community involvement, negotiating for use of community assets, and evaluating effectiveness and improving community engagement.
- Experience leading a project team, coaching staff towards excellence, and serving as a direct supervisor.
- Strong commitment to LPHI’s mission and values.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as project team lead/lead manager/primary point of contact on assigned projects.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and monitor written scopes of work and work plans for all assigned projects. Track progress, monitor level of effort, and prepare regular written and verbal updates to internal and external stakeholders.
- Coach, mentor, and supervise team members and consultants on assigned projects.
- Identify potential barriers or threats, ensure appropriate escalation and stakeholder communication, and coordinate with relevant teams to mitigate or seek resolution.
- Oversee continuous quality improvement of assigned projects.
- Oversee and manage contracts and subcontracts, project budgets, and project staffing and invoicing.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Apply strategic thinking and content expertise in health equity, social determinants, and population health to drive LPHI’s assessment and action planning work and development opportunities.
- Engage partners, solicit partner feedback, and facilitate strategic planning and decision-making across partners and internal teams to drive towards excellence in implementation and exploration of new opportunities.
- Assess and strategically respond to internal and external stakeholders’ assessment-related needs and assets to ensure successful implementation of assigned programs.
- Assess trends in public health, health equity and social determinants to inform decisions regarding assessment scopes of work, partnerships and development opportunities.
- Create strategies for new and expanded areas of work, including but not limited to the creation of an LPHI service line for CHNA/CHIPs (e.g., search for grant opportunities, design service lines, pitch concepts to partners and funders).
- Serve as subject matter expert on assessment and action planning methods (including but not limited to CHNA/CHIPs) and work closely with LPHI programmatic and evaluation teams to ensure that LPHI’s assessment, action planning and community engagement work are driven by evidence-based and best practices.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Assessment and Research
- Lead the creation and implementation of evaluation and research plans/protocols as well as mixed-methods data collection, management, and analysis plans.
- Ensure consistent use of evaluation, assessment and research protocols and best practices.
- Lead the analysis and translation of quantitative data for internal and external audiences, including data interpretation and creating data visualizations.
- Lead the creation of evidence-based recommendations aligned with findings and evidence-informed best practice.
- Lead reporting, product development and dissemination planning for projects, to include the creation of dissemination materials (manuscripts, reports, one pagers, presentations, etc.) and creation of dissemination plans.
- Identify and facilitate the sharing of lessons learned, best practices and tools with team members.
- Support grant and program development, including but not limited to application writing as well as grant and programmatic research on evidence-informed and or innovative funding opportunities.
- Lead convenings with community and organizational stakeholders.
- Support the development of communication materials, including writing content for LPHI newsletters, website and social media.
- Proactively support and/or lead overall organizational operations advancement efforts.
- Attend and actively participate in team and LPHI-wide meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience around tobacco prevention, cessation and/or research.
- Proficiency and understanding in the use of data collection and analytics software and tools, such as ArcGIS, Stata, R, Tableau, Dedoose, Red Cap, and beyond.
- Experience with qualitative and/or mixed-methods research.
- Minimum starting salary of $60,000.00 dependent on education and experience.
- A competitive benefits package is offered to all LPHI full-time staff.
Equal Opportunity Employer