Human Resources Manager
The Louisiana Public Health Institute is a statewide, non-profit organization that has been
promoting the health and well-being of Louisianans since 1997. LPHI is made up of over
100 employees based throughout the State in all nine Louisiana Department of Health
(LDH) regions. We accomplish our goals at the local, state, and national levels alongside
our over 500 partner organizations, which include communities, community-based
organizations, foundations, healthcare systems, academic institutions, government
agencies, and a diverse group of additional stakeholders. Our impact is felt across the
state as we leverage our staff expertise and skills in all areas of public health. LPHI was
named 2021 The Times-Picayune and The New Orleans Advocate Top Workplace and 2021
CityBusiness Best Places to Work. Our mission is to lead and partner with communities to
ensure that everyone has fair and just opportunities to be healthy and well. At LPHI, we
envision a Louisiana where all people will achieve their full potential for health and
We take responsibility and ownership of our work and our impact on one another, our
partners, and our communities.
We model the mantra “Nothing about us without us” in our work that is anchored in
We approach our work with imagination, ingenuity, and calculated risk-taking as a
commitment to progressive transformation.
We are deeply committed to centering diversity, inclusion, justice, and fairness in all that
We are dedicated to exceeding expectations and are committed to continual
improvement through listening, learning, and leadership.
Partnership & Trust
We build strong, long-lasting, and committed relationships through collaboration and
teamwork, the cornerstones of our efforts to advance health and wellness.
The Human Resources Manager provides strategic, managerial and implementation support to the Senior Director of Talent Management and assists with insuring that the Human Resources department is effective, efficient and performing all the daily functions of the department.
The Human Resources Manager performs a variety of supervision and day-to-day HR duties in all phases of the talent management process including talent acquisition and onboarding, employee relations, benefits administration, record keeping, project implementation, compensation, learning and development, performance management, and compliance.
This is an exempt, full-time hybrid position.
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Counseling, Psychology, Organizational Development, or closely related field required; HR certification preferred.
· 4+ years of relevant human resources generalist experience required, preferably in a non-profit environment.
· A deep and demonstrated commitment to building diversity, equity, and inclusion into HR practices.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills, including outstanding grammar, excellent proofreading skills, and exceptional ability to write business correspondence.
· Outstanding facilitation, interpersonal, communication/presentation, and coaching skills.
· Excellent organizational skills, ability to be flexible and multi-task with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities.
· Attention to Detail is a must
· Places a heavy emphasis on tasks and meeting deadlines
· Experience managing HR in multiple states is a plus
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required with experience managing Human Resources Information Systems, preferably Paylocity.
· Proficient in Microsoft Suite, particularly Excel
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment, Hiring, and Onboarding
· Implement and maintain a highly competitive recruitment and retention strategy for attracting, hiring retaining talented, motivated, and an high performing staff and build a strong pipeline of diverse and qualified candidates that serve both the specific requirements of projects/programs and LPHI’s broader organizational goals
· Implement and oversee recruitment and hiring policies including maintaining applicant database, exploring new technology, developing interview questions, conducting interviews, advising on appropriate pre-employment testing, conducting background and reference checks, and communicating with candidates.
· Acts as a staffing agent assisting in identifying and recruiting qualified candidates hired by LPHI for work with contracted organizations including local and state agencies.
· Manage and execute the practicum and intern programs, including creating and maintaining relationships with universities and organizations statewide for recruitment opportunities.
· Provide support to managers throughout the hiring process to ensure equitable and effective hiring practices.
· Implement a clear, compelling, and inclusive onboarding process that grounds all new employees in our shared values, core competencies and approaches.
Human Resources Management and Administration
· Implement and create a tactical plan that coincides with the overall strategic plan and objectives for the department and organization.
· Incorporate LPHI’s diversity, equity and inclusion framework into all HR management activities and develop programs to help achieve diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and objectives.
· Stay up to date on best HR practices and changes to HR law and recommend updates to HR policies and procedures to respond to new requirements that may arise.
· Serve as system administrator for LPHI’s HRIS, including development, maintenance, and implementation of new technologies.
· Promote excellent working relationships with all staff that are part of the recruitment, onboarding, and compliance process to ensure that staff view HR as a customer-friendly support team.
· Clearly communicate new and existing HR policies through various strategies such as workshops, webinars, manuals, handbooks, videos, e-mails, etc.
· Partner effectively with external organizations as needed in areas such as recruitment, compliance, benefits, and talent development.
· Leverage data analytics to drive organizational decision-making and advancement for core facets of HR-related activities.
· Maintain positive, strong, credible, professional, and interpersonal relationships with all parties relevant to LPHI and represent the best interest of LPHI at all times.
Operations and Compliance
· Manage HR budgets and contribute to overall agency budget regarding fringe benefits and other HR-related items.
· Ensure that LPHI follows all federal, state, and local employment laws, regulations, licensing, and training requirements for staff.
· Assist with the analysis, maintenance, and communication of current legal and compliance issues as they change and develop. Assist with the analysis of current staff, terminated staff, resigned staff, and vacancies along with associated data.
· Maintain compliance with all HR-related 990 items such as compensation studies.
· Oversee benefits administration, including benefit renewal, communication, liaison to broker and insurance providers, and administrator of the benefits system.
· Establish, maintain, and oversee confidential HR and personnel files, including time and attendance, performance reviews, health and information and benefits, employee grievances.
· Research employment law issues to improve the administrative functions of the organization and consult with legal counsel to reduce the risk of company liability.
· Serve as a liaison and resource to LPHI staff and supervisors’ issues on HR related
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
· Assist with the implementation of the values-centered cross-organizational equity plan which will include an HR policy audit and working in partnership with the operations team to ensure alignment with the organizational equity plan.
· Support and ensure the existing internal equity work aligns with the equity plan
Perform other duties or special projects as necessary.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities · Care deeply and is committed to LPHI’s Strategic Plan Priorities, Mission, Vision and Values with ability to demonstrate LPHI’s core competencies.
· Ability to exercise discretion and diplomacy especially in complex and confidential situations.
· Ability to maintain professionalism at all times.
· Strong knowledge of industry standards, best practices, regulatory requirements, and employment law.
· Experience in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, mission-driven environment; flexibility with an ability to maneuver effectively in the face of uncertainty and transition.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively on a team and with internal and external stakeholders and diverse partners.
· Ability to work and manage effectively in a matrix environment including working with teams and teams of teams in order to extrapolate plans and create results through critical thinking and exercising sound judgment.
· Ability to think from a “systems” perspective; understanding the interrelatedness of components within systems and finding synergies and appropriate connections which drive change and improve the whole.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple priorities effectively and efficiently while regularly meeting deadlines.
· Strong emotional intelligence skills, including interpersonal skills and experience working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
· Demonstrated learning orientation.
· Ability to champion and manage change.
· Demonstrated ability to deliver with excellent quality and impact.
· Ability to model and inspire authentic leadership; and coach, manage and develop team members.
· Ability to makes others feel able to discuss sensitive issues without fear. A naturally empathetic leader who inspires trust among employees.
· Minimum starting salary of $55,000
· LPHI offers a competitive benefits package
Equal Opportunity Employer